2 x 5 oz portions of skin off Aquna Bass, filleted, pin boned and portioned
1/4 cup seeded mustard
1 qt good quality fish stock
1.5 tsp good quality reduced balsamic
2 ea x large fennel
2 tsp squid ink
4 x young garlic bulbs (white part only)
1/2 cup milk
Edible flowers (cucumber flowers)
Micro herbs (mizuna, amaranth, chervil)
- Reduce fish stock slowly until only 10% of the initial liquid remains, it should be sticky to touch and a golden colour. Be careful not to burn towards the end of making the reduction.
- Mix the fish reduction with the seeded mustard and add the reduced balsamic.
- Roughly chop fennel and place in a heavy based saucepan.
- Add 50ml water and a dash of olive oil and cook over low heat with a lid on.
- Check regularly and cook until very tender.
- Strain off liquid in a fine mesh colander.
- Add cooked fennel and squid ink to a food processor and blend. Add olive oil to emulsify into a smooth consistency.
- Place fish portions on an oven proof tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Carefully spoon on mustard glaze over skin side of the fish.
- Bake in an oven at 350F for 8 – 10 minutes.
- On a flat white plate, carefully place cooked Aquna Bass.
- Garnish with a spoon of the fennel puree )room temperature) and small dots of the garlic puree (room temperature).
- Finish with micro herbs and edible flowers.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE